Registration information

Application timeframes

The Board meets every month to consider applications for the registration of veterinary practitioners.

Lodge your application before the cut-off date for the Board's monthly meeting. You can ask for fast track registration if you miss a cut-off date or need to be registered earlier than the next Board meeting. Fast track processing takes up to 7 days and costs $150 on top of standard fees.

The next application due-dates are:
  • 19 December 2019 for Board approval 8 January 2020
  • 22 January 2020  for Board meeting on 5 February 2020
  • 19 February 2020 for Board meeting on 4 March 2020

Students graduating in 2019-20, please submit your application at least 2 weeks before the date the university will be conferring your degree.

How to apply

Select the option that applies to you from the following list:

Registration and other service fees

Applicants for registration pay service and registration fees:
  • New graduates applying for general registration: $150 application fee + $190 registration fee = Total $340
  • General registration (including restoration/re-registration):
    • For registration in the period 1 July 2019 to 1 December 2020 - $150 application fee + $380 registration fee = Total $530
    • For registration in the period 1 December 2019 to 30 June 2020 - $150 application fee + $190 registration fee = Total $340  
  • Specific registration: $150 application fee + $100 complex assessment fee + $380 registration fee = Total $630
  • Specialist endorsement: $150 application fee + $250 specialist endorsement fee = Total $400. Specialists also pay a $380 general registration fee, and may need to pay a separate fee for the AVBC's Advisory Committee on the Registration of Veterinary Specialists to assess their qualifications.

More information: registration and service fee schedule

Using other Australian registration to work in Victoria

Veterinary practitioners with current registration in another Australian State or Territory sometimes come to Victoria to work temporarily. If your principal place of residence is in another State or Territory, the Victorian Board recognises your interstate right to practise as giving you the right to practise in Victoria. You would not have to apply for registration in Victoria as long as you continued to live in the State or Territory and your registration there remained active. The law covering these circumstances is section 3A of the Victorian Veterinary Practice Act 1997. The general term for the right to practise in Victoria with an interstate right to practise is "national recognition of veterinary registration".

However, if you relocate so your principal place of residence is in Victoria, you would have to apply for registration in Victoria before your registration in the other State or Territory expired. This is required under section 1A of the Victorian Veterinary Practice Act 1997.

Note to international vets including from New Zealand: Recognition of interstate veterinary registration does not extend to people registered in other countries. If you are working as a veterinary practitioner in another country, you cannot come here and immediately start working without first registering in Victoria. Vets from New Zealand, UK and the US will likely have degrees that are recognised for registration in Victoria, but they must apply for registration in Victoria if their principal place of residence will be in Victoria and they want to practise here.