Re-registering in Victoria

You will need to re-register with the Veterinary Practitioners Registration Board of Victoria if you previously had general registration in Victoria, you are or will be living in Victoria, and you want to start practising in Victoria again. Before you apply to re-register, please check with us which documents we already have on your old file by either calling us on +61 3 9620 7444 or emailing [email protected] 

When to re-register

If you have current registration in another Australian State or Territory, you will need to re-register before your registration there expires. Please contact us to discuss the best time to apply.

The Board meets to consider applications every month. There is a cut-off date for submitting applications before each monthly Board meeting. You can ask for your application to be fast-tracked if you miss a cut-off date or want to be registered before a Board meeting. Fast-track processing takes up to 7 days and costs AUD$155 extra. 

How to apply and what to send

You can email your application to [email protected], or post or hand-deliver applications to our office (but we do NOT accept faxed applications). If you are emailing your application, you must email all documents as PDF files, NOT .jpeg, .png or other image files.

To re-register your general registration with the Board, you must:

  1. Arrange for the registration or licensing authority where you are currently registered to email a letter of professional standing or license verification to [email protected]. You cannot send the letter to the Board yourself; the authority where you are registered must send the letter directly to us.
    • If you have active registration with more than one registration or licensing authority, you must arrange for all of those authorities to send the Board a letter of professional standing or license verification.
    • If you are not currently registered with any authority, you must arrange for the authority where you were last registered to send the letter or license verification.

  2. Send the Board the following documents:
    • A completed application form.
    • A comprehensive personal resume covering all your work up to now. If there are any gaps in your veterinary work or activities, please explain why.
    • If the Board does not have this on file already, a certified copy of your degree or diploma certificate from the tertiary institution where you graduated in veterinary science or medicine. Graduates of international universities who have taken the NAVLE, you must also arrange for the Veterinary Information Verifying Agency to email a score transfer certificate to [email protected]
    • If the Board does not have this on file already or the copy you gave the Board previously is out of date, a certified copy of photographic identification. If your ID is a driver's licence, the certified copy must contain photos of both the front and back pages of the licence. 
About certifying documents
  • Find out which types of people are officially authorised to witness documents in the country or State where you are located. In Victoria people authorised to witness documents include pharmacists, police officers, justices of the peace, and registered veterinary practitioners. International applicants: for Canada, see Authentication of documentsfor Ireland, see Authenticating documents; for New Zealand, see Get a document witnessed or authenticated; for the United Kingdom, see Certifying a document; for the US, see Office of Authentications; for other countries, search online using the search terms 'authenticating documents' and the name of your country.
  • Please do not get your documents certified by a relative, housemate, or someone you are in a relationship with.
  • The authorised person must write or stamp on the copy of the document: ‘I have sighted the document and certify this to be a true copy of the original.’ They must write this on the front of the copy (not a blank back page), and they must write this on each page if there is more than one page.

Fees for re-registration

In the 2020-2021 financial year ending 30 June 2021, fees depend on the time of year you are applying:
  • Re-registration for the period 1 July 2020 to 1 December 2021 costs AUD$545. This fee consists of a $155 application fee and $390 in registration fees.
  • Re-registration for the period 1 December 2020 to 30 June 2021 costs AUD$350. This fee consists of a $155 application fee and $195 in registration fees.  

NOTE to have your application fast tracked, you would also pay a $155 fast track fee.

More information:  Vetboard Victoria fee schedule

Re-registration application form

To help you complete the re-registration application form:
  • Write the year your previous registration lapsed at the top of the form
  • The form includes a statutory declaration which you must print, complete, and sign in front of person officially authorised to witness documents. More information: About certifying documents
  • If you do not have a residential address in Victoria yet, write TO BE ADVISED. Inform us as soon as you have a residential address.
  • If you do not have a practice address yet, write NO REGISTER ADDRESS. Inform us as soon as you have a practice address
  • For the payment section of the form, fees depend on the time of year you are applying, e.g. in 2019-2020:
    • Re-registration for the period 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2020 costs $530, consisting of a $150 application fee and $380 in registration fees.
    • Re-registration for the period from 1 December 2019 to 30 June 2020 costs $340, consisting of a $150 application fee and $190 in registration fees.
    NOTE you would pay an additional fee of $150 if you ask for fast track processing of your application.

Privacy of your information: The Board will only use and disclose personal information collected in the registration form for the purposes of registration, unless the Board has obtained your consent to use the information for additional purposes. More information: Privacy and data protection policy